Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) - P/T, On-Call - Spanish Speaking Bilingual
Company: The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay Inc.
Posted on: March 15, 2023
The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay brings help, hope and healing to
people facing serious life challenges or trauma resulting from
sexual assault or abuse, domestic violence, financial distress,
substance abuse, medical emergency, suicidal thoughts, emotional or
situational problems. The part-time On-Call SAS Nurse Examiner is
responsible for conducting sexual assault forensic exams on both
male and female victims, ages 13 and older within 120 hours of the
sexual assault. Opportunity may be available for training and
certification for exams for victims 12 and under. This position
reports to the Nurse Manager and in his or her absence the SAS
Director of Nursing.
Strategic/Transformational Duties and Responsibilities
- The nurse examiner will use a trauma informed care approach to
help and provide forensic exams to victims dealing with the trauma
of sexual assault in a compassionate and nonjudgmental manner.
Transactional/Administrative Duties and Responsibilities
- Take call for sexual battery examinations as
- Conduct sexual battery examination on both males and females 13
years of age and older when requested by law enforcement within 120
hours of assault.
- Physical assessment and evaluation of the sexually battered
- Make referrals for treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
and post coital contraception.
- Make appropriate referrals for victims of trauma or associated
- Serve as an expert for the criminal justice system in a sexual
- Serve as consultant to other agencies as necessary.
- Process specimens for the laboratory as necessary.
- Maintain contact with Crisis Center of Tampa Bay, Inc. for at
least one (1) year after termination of employment and respond to
any and all subpoenas on cases that were examined while employed as
a Nurse Examiner.
- Know and comply with the policies and procedures of the Agency,
FCASV, the IAFN, the OAG and the FDLE crime lab.
- Know basic microscope skills and identify common
- Take digital and colposcopy photographs for use in
- Perform such other duties as required by the supervisor.
- Cooperation/Teamwork-Works toward win/win solutions. Deals with
conflict collaboratively. Discusses root causes underlying the
problem. Develops effective working relationships.
- Engaging Communication-Relates to people in an open, honest,
sincere manner. Treats people with respect. Is friendly and
approachable. Listens attentively to others. Communicates ideas
clearly. Communicates appropriately with leadership and
- Customer Service (Internal & External)-Recognizes and attends
to important details with accuracy and efficiency. Treats customers
courteously. Responds to customer requests in a timely manner.
Elicits feedback from customers to monitor their satisfaction.
Considers both short and long-term interests of the customer in
making service decisions. Proactively identifies customer needs.
Takes responsibility to resolve customer complaints. Takes business
or personal risks to serve customers' long-term interests. Creates
strategies to help the organization serve customers more
- Adaptability-Adapts readily to changes. Works effectively under
stress. Needs minimal supervision. Comfortable working in a fast
paced environment. Is reliable, dependable and results-oriented.
Maintains productivity and composure under pressure. Effectively
prioritizes work and establishes clear goals and plans.
- Problem Solving-Views problems as opportunities to create new
solutions. Anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative
- Judgment-Gathers sufficient input before making decisions. Sees
interrelatedness between issues. Considers alternative solutions.
Makes appropriate and timely decisions.
- Valuing & Fostering Diversity-Demonstrating respect for
individual differences and establishing a climate where all people
can be comfortable and productive through sensitivity, empathy, and
acceptance of cultural, racial, mental health, and socio-economic
- Self-Management-Taking of responsibility for one's behavior and
well-being; Working effectively under stress and adapting one's
style to changing situations; Comfortable working in a fast paced
environment, and needs minimal supervision; Exhibiting a
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of methods of gynecological examinations.
- Knowledge of the TACT software and have computer
- Knowledge of protocol for collecting evidence and processing
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system as pertaining to sex
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of effective verbal
and written communications.
- Ability to conduct sexual examinations using accepted
- Ability to testify in a court room situation.
- Ability to maintain an appearance of composure at all
- Ability to work independently.
Education and Experience
- Bilingual Spanish required.
- Valid Florida driver's license and insured private
- Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner or Registered Nurse
(Bachelor's Degree required), with active Florida license
- At least one (1) year of experience in one or more of the
- Supervision and administration
- Emergency Room
- Specialized training in assessment of the following:
- Acute crisis situations
- Trauma and/or medical situations
- Gynecological examinations
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Certification and/or
Pediatric experience is a plus.
- All Nurse Examiners must acquire SANE Certification within one
year of hire. If funding is available, the Crisis Center may
provide financial assistance if needed.
- Complete Trauma Informed Care training, Psychological First
Aid, Medical Peer Reviews and other trainings as deemed appropriate
by the SAS Medical Director.
- Complete Advocacy Core Training as required by FCASV or within
the first six months of employment
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Physical Requirement: Employee must be at to sit, climb or balance,
hear, use hands, taste/smell, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, stand,
walk, talk, and reach with hands and arms.
Working Conditions: Duties are performed primarily in an office
Hours: All Nurse Examiners are required to cover at least six
shifts per month. Services are available 365 days a year 24-hours a
day and require a rotating on-call schedule. Employees are required
to be available on-call during holidays, evenings, and/or weekends;
and during hurricanes and other times of disasters/critical
Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do we! That's what
makes us special! The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay is committed to
creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
status. The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay is also committed to
compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship
and immigration status. We want you to be YOU, and you're
encouraged to apply! Come learn more today!
Keywords: The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay Inc., Palmetto , Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) - P/T, On-Call - Spanish Speaking Bilingual, Other , Ruskin, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...